Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Classic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe

Sometimes you have to face the fact that you were deprived of joy as a child. I recently discovered that I was deprived of chicken pot pie, which I now understand to be a tangible synonym for joy. If you only try one new recipe this season, make it this one.

Cooking is absolutely not my thing! Baking is my safe zone, but I needed to at least try something slightly more dinner-ish than mac 'n cheese. So after deciding that I should attempt to cook a real dinner, I stumbled into the world of savory pies. I can....bake pie....for dinner?! Sign this girl up! Chicken pot pie has always come to mind when I think of comfort food, but I honestly can't remember ever eating it as a kid. We were more of a chicken noodle soup family, and I didn't realize what I was missing out on until I moved to San Francisco and tried a pie from The Cravery. Love at first bite! This recipe holds up pretty well to theirs, I must say.



This chicken pot pie is perfect for fall and winter dinners in cold weather. The recipe is easy to adjust to your own taste, and you can make it family style or in individual servings. It's the best chicken pot pie recipe for non-cooks because it's SO easy!

Ingredients:

2            pre-made rolled pie crusts (I used Pillsbury) 
1/3         cup butter or margarine
1/3         cup chopped onion
2            cloves of garlic, chopped
1/3         cup all-purpose flour
1/2         teaspoon salt
1/4         teaspoon pepper
1 1/2      cups chicken broth
3            tablespoons cream of celery
1/2         cup milk
2 1/2      cups shredded cooked chicken (either bake it or buy a rotisserie chicken)
2            cups frozen mixed vegetables (I used frozen peas & carrots)

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 425°F. Take pie crust out of fridge to thaw. In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Add garlic, stir for about 30 seconds or until it becomes fragrant. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened. Stir in cream of celery. Stir in chicken and mixed vegetables. Remove from heat.

3. Unroll one pie crust and place it into an ungreased glass pie dish. Add your filling. Unroll the second crust and place dough over filling. Seal and crimp or flute edges. With a fork, poke holes in the top crust for ventilation. Make a fun design!

5. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover edge of crust with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Adapted from Betty Crocker's Classic Chicken Pot Pie.



No comments:

Post a Comment